For businesses wanting to go green, there’s no more visible choice than Ecotricity. Ecotricity was founded in 1996 and has come to dominate the green energy sector in the UK. In fact, it’s one of the only suppliers offering guaranteed vegan energy. That’s considerable, considering they supply 87 MW of wind power to the grid. Ecotricity also has an impressive 200,000+ business customers across the UK.
Ecotricity is relatively small compared to many competitors. On the other hand, it offers unique service and benefits. That’s important for organizations that want green energy. At the same time, Ecotricity doesn’t have fully green gas. Instead, it uses carbon offsets. Otherwise, Ecotricity is popular, well-reviewed, and delivers highly competitive rates.
Ecotricity Business Electricity Tariffs
Ecotricity offers an extremely simple business model. Unlike most competitors, you can’t choose plans. There’s just one option for businesses of all sizes. The only difference is that large businesses will get cheaper rates. You’ll also get a dedicated account manager. However, this necessitates a 100,000+ per year spend.
- Variable tariff with monthly contract
- No exit fees
- 30-day notice required to terminate a contract
- Pre-pay and credit meter rates available
- Credit Meter rates from 18.18p per kWh with a daily standing charge of 12.54p
- Prepayment Meter (available in monthly, quarterly, seasonal blocks) available from 13.76p per kWh with a daily standing charge of 27.47p
- Economy 7 Plans available (day rates are 23 pence per kWh, night rates are 6.95p per kWh) with a daily standing charge of 25.46p
General Electric information
- 100% green electric sourced from wind, geothermal, and solar
- No contracts
- No exit fees
- Vegan Society certified
- Deemed rates average 19-20p p/kWh with a 21-30p per day standing charge
- All rates are variable. They fluctuate with the market.
Essentially, Ecotricity does away with much of the complexity of most British energy suppliers. With no decisions to make, you can likely start right away. Additionally, it’s very unlikely you’ll face hidden charges. However, Ecotricity does not include the 0.811p/kWh Climate Change Levy in its tariff quotes. Therefore, your invoice will feature an additional CCL charge mandated by law. That is a similar practice to nearly every other competitor.
Ecotricity Business Gas Tariffs & Plans
Like its electric plans, Ecotricity only offers one plan for gas users. However, unlike the energy, it is not 100% renewable. Instead, Ecotricity supplies about 5-12% of gas from certified green sources. The other 95% uses carbon offset to make it “green”. This means the gas is fully certified green. At the same time, this is because Ecotricity runs carbon capture plans to offset their gas. Ecotricity also says they are working on creatin ga biogas supply.
- No contracts
- 30-day cancellation period
- No exit fees
- Pre-pay and credit meter rates available
- Rates start at 3.95p p/kWh with a daily standing charge of 24.15p
- Fully variable rates that fluctuate with the market
Essentially, Ecotricity offers simple pricing and one plan. However, if you’re looking for completely green gas, there are better options.
Ecotricity Business Reviews & Ratings
Ecotricity maintains a relatively positive online reputation. In fact, they have an average of 3.7 stars on Trustpilot, out of almost 2,500 reviews. The company has a much lower rating on Reviews.io. Here, it maintains a 3% rating out of 107 reviewers. However, most complaints relate to customers who moved into buildings and paid out of tariff rates.
However, Citizens Advice rates Ecotricity as 2.5 stars, putting them in the bottom 5 of the top 100 energy suppliers. This rating relates to customer service, speed of resolving complaints, and billing accuracy. Which?, however, rates it at approximately middle-of-the-road. Here, Ecotricity is rated at 4 stars for bill accuracy, 3 for bill clarity, 3 for customer service, and 2 for value for money.
- 100% Renewable electricity
- Certified vegan energy
- Competitive rates with no contracts
- Unpredictable billing cycles tied to the market
- High rate of inaccurate invoices
- Slow or bad customer service
Switching to Ecotricity
Ecotricity is a smaller company than many competitors. However, you can normally switch to the company relatively easily. Unlike larger competitor, Ecotricity does not offer business energy quotes online. Instead, you’ll have to call them at 0345 600 1994. You can also email email@example.com or fill out their online form. Ecotricity promises a response in one business day. However, it can be longer.
Additionally, once you get a callback with a quote, you can immediately set up your contract.
- Have your address, meter reading, estimated demand, and documentation to hand
- Choose electric, gas, or both. There is a small yearly discount for choosing both
- Select a start date
- In most cases, you’ll have to call your old supplier yourself. However, Ecotricity may handle everything for you. Make sure you confirm this with the representative on the phone. Additionally, if your old energy supplier requires that you submit a notice to leave, you must do that yourself via registered mail.
- Submit your first meter readings
Ecotricity is relatively easy to switch to. However, you will have to handle a lot yourself.
Commercial Energy Billing Process
Ecotricity sends an invoice with VAT to your business address monthly. You may also choose to pay upfront using a pre-pay meter. Additionally, you may choose to pay entirely online. Here, you receive your invoice via the Ecotricity portal or app and can immediately pay it through this service.
Invoices include tariffs, pass-through rates, additional levies such as the Climate Change Levy, and your rate type. If you use a pay-as-you-go meter, you will not receive an invoice but rather a billing statement.
Additionally, Ecotricity supports Economy 7 or standard billing. If you have an Economy 7 contract, you will see rates split by day/night usage.
Change of Tenancy
If you move location and a new tenant moves in, your contract is terminated. The new tenant will then be billed at deemed rates until they set up a contract. Ecotricity uses the same change of tenancy form whether you’re moving in or out. If you’re moving out of an Ecotricity-supplied building, fill out this form.
- Have your meter reading ready
- Supply contact details of the new tenant or new person in charge of the premises
- Submit moveout date for your final bill
- Supply your new address
Ecotricity will contact you to finalize the contract. You’ll also receive a final bill based on your meter reading. Additionally, if you use a pay-as-you-go meter, you will have a different process. Here, you won’t receive a final bill unless you owe on the meter. In some cases, you’ll receive money back when the meter switches to a new contract owner.
Business Bill Payment Methods
Ecotricity accepts post office payments, cheque, direct debit, and card payments. However, most payment options can be completed through the online portal or in the app.
- Post Office Payment Card – Call Ecotricity at 0345 555 7 100 to request a PPC card. This can take up to 6 weeks
- PayPoint – Take your bill to a PayPoint and scan it to pay however you’d like
- Bank Transfer – 62606380 to Ecotricity Limited, enter your account number into the payment reference
- Credit/Debit card – Log into the app or portal and pay there. Otherwise, call 01453 488101
- Direct Debit – Set up direct debit in the app or portal. Ecotricity offers fixed and variable options.
Ecotricity offers plenty of payment options. However, they do not offer discounts for direct debit payments like many competitors.
Submitting Meter Readings
Ecotricity uses a combination of smart meters and self-submission meter readings. They may also send meter reading agents to check that meter readings are accurate. This means you will occasionally be asked to let someone in to read your meter. However, you’ll also have to submit meter readings. To do so, you’ll have to log into your Ecotricity account.
- Log into your Ecotricity account
- Click “Enter Reading” on the menu
- Add your meter reading
If you cannot read your meter or do not have an Ecotricity account Ecotricity can help. Call 0345 555 7 100 to schedule someone coming to read your meter for you.
Ecotricity takes part in the Smart Meter program. If you do not have a smart meter, you can apply to have a Smart Pay as You Go or a Smart Standard meter. Smart meters allow you to bypass submitting meter readings by taking them automatically. Additionally, smart meters mean you see real-time energy usage. That means bills are based on actual rather than estimated usage, which can save you money on your monthly bill.
Unfortunately, Ecotricity does not offer any way to schedule an appointment for your installation. Instead, you’ll have to wait for your area to become eligible. When this happens, Ecotricity’s supplier, Fulcrum, will contact you with details.
Ecotricity Business Contact Details
Ecotricity makes it relatively easy to get in touch with them. Additionally, they have a mostly UK-based support staff.
Phone Number: 01453 756 111 or 0345 555 7 100
Opening Hours: 8:30AM –18:00 Mon-Fri
For more information, visit Ecotricity’s support page.